Wednesday, March 7, 2012

NFT's Got You Covered! In a Way!

After a week on hiatus, NFT's Got You Covered is back in action.

This week I have something to share for all that one could contest and say is not a cover album. Not because it doesn't have any covers in it, but that there are songs by certain bands being played my certain individuals in or associated with the group. I would have to disagree however though due to the fact that that means they are not playing as that certain band and actually with their fellow friends (in this case) to bring you a new look at the songs they may or may not have made known to cats. The example I'm trying to get at is Ryan Woods playing The Reason by Defiance, Ohio with his friends Toby Foster and Theo Hilton. Ryan Wood is in Defiance, Ohio but he's not playing it with Defiance, Ohio, he's playing it with Theo and Toby. Just like Grace Slick singing "White Rabbit" with The Great Society vs. Grace Slick singing "White Rabbit" (except maybe if Marty Balin sang it). It is another way of looking at some good music by good people (I'm hoping) with some friends than the usual ones they are on stage with every night. The three I listed above came out with an album together while touring with each other and such. Here it is:

Theo Hilton, Toby Foster, and Ryan Woods - Theo Hilton, Toby Foster, and Ryan Woods (2010)


AKA Three cool dudes from Defiance, Ohio (Theo and Ryan), Nana Grizol (Theo) and Toby Foster, playing some of their hits in acoustic form and some new ones.

For the covers, we have "Old Dead Tree" by Defiance, Ohio sung by Theo who is usually the drummer, "Gave On" by Nana Grizol sung by Theo, "The Reason" by Ryan originally from his band Defiance, Ohio, "Attraction" by Toby Foster and sung by him, and "Cynicism" by Nana Grizol sung by Toby. "Cynicism" is my all time favorite Nana Grizol song and has to be up there as one of my favorite songs of all time. With that being said, I think that the cover is spot on... almost too spot on though and to me it just sounds like the same song but this time with Toby singing it. There is nothing wrong with that, I know a few more Cynicism covers that I have to fill in that emptiness inside me that needs to be filled with Cynicism renditions by other people who like Cynicism. Ruth is such a wonderful album and I always forget it!

The originals are also really cool and exactly what you would expect from these guys. Be sure to check out the originals and their respected bands after you finish this bad boy off. You will not be disappointed. I was disappointed once. It was the day I didn't go to that Nana Grizol show. You know why kids? Because I'm an idiot, that's why!

There's not much else I can say about this gem other then stressing how cool it is that they did this and that they play some fun and simple music.

Plus it's free.

Last.fm
Last.fm (Defiance, Ohio)
Last.fm (Nana Grizol)
Last.fm (Toby Foster)

No comments:

Post a Comment