Monday, August 12, 2013

Monday LXXX


Good to be back!

No, Boy - Was That It? Was That Really It? (2013)


Vancouver indie rock/punk/emo sensation from Vancouver. Lots of stuff about the city and staying cool. 

I think.



Last.fm

Bummer - Kids on the Run (2012)


Bummer is also a band from Cananananada. Montreal, though.

I actually heard about these guys through one of my favorite bands (I got to see them this weekend for the first time!), Chalk Talk. They had just played with Bummer up north and brought a few couples of Kids on the Run in 45'' form with them to the show. I kick myself for not picking up a copy but promised I would check these Canadian punkers out. So here I am, checking them out. And so should you.

Because Chalk Talk said so. Because I said so.



Your body will thank you.

Last.fm

Milo - Cavalcade (2013)


Milo is not from Canada. He (Rory Ferreira) is actually from all over... starting off in a land called Saco, Maine. Milo now lives in Wisconsin, I believe, but that's not going to stop me from mentioning his roots in a very familiar town. 

Milo is also not punk rock... Milo is that hip-hop stuff. Good and smart hip-hop stuff, too. Hip-hop that is often filled with references of another familiar thing to me - pro wrestling. An easy example of wrestling from this new mixtape, a follow-up to his past two EPs (things that happen at day and things that happen at night), is the distorted sample of Mr. Perfect Curt Hennig giving a promo to the champion at the time, the Ultimate Warrior. The sample opens up the 5th track, entitled, "ba al chiliagon swords" featuring YC the Cynic and is a top-notch number.

Other samples and guests of miscellaneous sorts include: America and their hit songs, "A Horse with No Name" and "I Need You", a speech about dogs and the language of dogs which I don't recognized, Nocando, the highly underappreciated and always impressive Busdriver, and a pig load more of samples he probably didn't get permission to use. 



Get Cavalcade for free via Hellfyre Club right now!

... unless you don't want to listen to the next big thing... that's cool these days, too. I guess...


PS: I'm about to drink the Filipino chocolate energy drink, Milo. Hope it's as good. 

No comments:

Post a Comment