Saturday, December 7, 2013

Duck. Little Brother, Duck? - No Spitting On Cats During Plague Time

Duck. Little Brother, Duck! - No Spitting On Cats During Plague Time (2013)


Since it's almost that time of the year again (you know, the end of it), it's probably a good time to write about some cool stuff that was released this year that I may not have already or was holding off on. So, here I go.

Portland, Oregon's Duck. Little Brother, Duck! are one of those bands you never know just what they sound like. I mean they have bits of math rock and noodling but they also have a wild array of duel vocals that could almost pass as skramz. You can't just call them math rock and at the same time you can't just call them post hardcore. Duck. Little Brother, Duck! might actually be their own hybrid of punk rock and math rock music that no other bands have yet to sound like. At least, not the way D.LB,D! sound like.

It's this unique mixer of awesome things all at one time that gives me both enjoyment and a challenge to listen to D.LB,D?. The challenge being that I must listen to their music on repeat for hours so I can really soak it all in and make certain that I don't miss anything along the way.

This year, Duck. Little Brother, Duck! sneaked a 7" out into the world in the summer while I was away. The 7incher is called, No Spitting On Cats During Plague Time and features two solid tracks about anteaters and deep sea fish respectively. The tracks are nothing short of what D.LB,D! are all about and pretty much an extension of where they left off with their wild and all over the place 2012 release, Don't Take Our Filth Away. My only gripe with No Spitting On Cats is the fact that it's only two songs and leaves me wanted more, and then I spend the next hour afterwards listening to their other albums (instead of writing my paper for school). I guess I really have no one to blame other than myself for that last bit.


Similar sounds/acts: Girlfriends, Toasted Plastic, Sirs, 1994!, Kidcrash, Natives, My Dad, X-Ray Press, The Reptilian, The Waldos, and a few others that are close.

Official site
Friends For Life Records
Last.fm

No comments:

Post a Comment