Tuesday, August 30, 2011

I - In The Beginning

To kick off this blog, I'm going to start with some pieces of work that really got me into different types of music.

Black Eyes - Black Eyes (2003)
This s/t of Washington, D.C. Dischord band really blew my brain! I found these gents while on Myspace back in the day after clicking on their page on some bands friend list or whatever. Long story short, I've forgotten the band I was looking for in the first place and ended up finding BLACK EYES! Their blend of post-punk, noise and even no wave just killed it! This band featured two drummers and two bass guitars really adds to the excitement that goes into the noise and frenzy that also includes duel vox. I used to think this band had a girl in it for some reason. hmmm.  Anyways, once I ran out and bought this album from my local compact disc store, I really began to hunt for more sounds like the ones that these men were producing.  Their second album Cough, known for being released just two months before their dimise, is just as spastic and uncontrollable. Cough either gets more attention on blogs or is disregarded because of the crazed horns that bleed through the whole album. I personally love the screaming saxophone sound and believe that every high school jazz band should take note. I once saw Cough in a record store once in the rap section and I still kick myself to this day for not buying it. Daniel McCormick and Jacob Long now play in Mi Ami. This album is a gem and will always be one of my favorite albums!

Similar acts/sounds: Mi Ami, Fugazi, Q and Not U, Teenage Jesus and The Jerks & more.

I'm 16 driving south to Baltimore

No comments:

Post a Comment