Monday, December 12, 2011

Monday XIII



Down with the sickness. It's monday.


Damascus - Salutations, Distant Satellite! (2011)


Sweet ass post metal. Sometimes it even sounds like post rock influenced by heavy metal. \m/

Last.fm

Shapes Like Dinosaurs - Cretaceous Calculus EP (2010)


They twinkle, they noodle, they experiment and they sound mega corky. Despite all this, it took me a little while to fully appreciate the music SLD have put out. I'm not sure if it'll be a grower for you (my humble audience) so I do still recommend these guys for any "Twinkle Daddies" or Math Rock fan.

Last.fm

Sibylle Baier - Colour Green (2006)


The official release of this fine gem may be '06 but the true roots of Colour Green stretches way back to the 70s when Sibylle Baier, an actress at this time, began writing and home recording beautifully sad folk songs starting with the first song she ever wrote, "Remember the Day". It wasn't until her son put all these songs together on a CD and began giving them away to friends and family that the world felt the wraith of Baier's super somber and natural tunes.

This is the kind of album you put on after a long night of partying when everyone has left but your best friend and they're helping you clean the vomit stains out of your carpet. This has never happened to me but I still think it would be fitting. I have listened to this album many times after parties though...

Colour Green is perfect for this time of the year as well with the cold weather and all that. This music may actually be for the depressed saps in all of us but I wouldn't really conceder Baier a sad lady. She just happened to make sad folk songs is all. Like Nick Drake. Except he was really sad, so.... well, you get the point.

She is really quite perplexed by all the attention that her album "Colour Green" has gotten. My father keeps telling her about all the pages and articles that are out there, but she, though smitten, prefers to hear about her accolades through the eyes and ears of her family. The web makes her dizzy, I think. - Her son, Robby from the official site

Last.fm
Official site

Guess I should start posting some Christmas music or THE BEST ALBUMS OF YEAR and jibba-jabba lists like that.

I'll get around to it... I mean Sant Clause has only been at the mall now since November... There's still time.

1 comment:

  1. Hey! I'm a member of Damascus. Thanks for sharing our music, it's awesome that you like it! Cheers

    ReplyDelete