Monday, August 6, 2012

Monday XXXXVII


It's a Christmas miracle!


Adult Braces - Demo (2012)


Adult Braces is Pat Graham from the Blink 182 for white people pop punk outfit, Spraynard. Adult Braces is also essentially Spray (that's short for Spraynard) all stripped down and personal-like, which is super cool as I've become quite a fan of Graham's band lately and hearing this 'acoustic spin on things' is really nice. There's also a shout out to The Adventures of Pete & Pete in the second track, "Younger Games" which is really really nice (out of context, of course - listen and you'll know what I mean).

Last.fm

innards/two knights - Split (2011)


Usually I like to save any good splits I find, which is not often enough these days, and place them in a big split post were they can sit next to a bunch of other splits and look pretty. Well, to be honest, I have this terrible feeling that I'm going to leave this one out. So I've decided to put it here instead as it is on my mind and won't go unnoticed.

These two bands, despite sharing the same record, are quite different I might add. While innards take on  the screamo and noise sound of things, Two Knights tackle the twinkly, obscure vocals side, and damn do they do a good job of it. Two Knights are just one of those bands that make sounding absolutely annoying and inaudible, well... super audible and catchy as shit. A very nice example of a two different tastes yet totally works kind of split we have right here.

It looks like this split might also be called, 'No Scum Allowed' from what I make out on the album art right there, but I'm not sure. Just thought I'd point that out... Not to insult your intelligence or eyesight or anything.

Last.fm (innards)
Last.fm (Two Knights)

And So I Watch You From Afar - Gangs (2011)


I can't remember if I just put this album off by the Irish experimental post rock/math rockers, And So I Watch You From Afar last year or slept on it, and yes, I literally mean I slept through it. Not because it is boring or anything, it is far from it, it is just that most post rock albums I put on, I put on right as I'm going to bed. If I had slept through the album rather than listening to it a year later, I pretty much screwed myself over. The Irish know how to make some pretty interesting and technical instrumental music (e.g. Enemies, Adebisi Shank, Wiltz) and native's ASIWYFA gave it their all last year to prove they are one of the top players. The results came in and they ended up  creating a very exciting, original sounding record that is much more math rock than it is sleeper post rock. So yeah, don't sleep on this album.

Bandcamp
Last.fm

No comments:

Post a Comment