Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Captain Hollow's Greatest Hits

Captain Hollow - Greatest Hits (2013)


When news first broke out on the internet that Captain Hollow were supposedly releasing their long-overdue debut album that has been in the works for at least 100 Maine band years, I was pretty pumped like the rest of you. But upon hearing the name of the new album, I initially snickered to myself saying, "laugh out loud, they are calling it Greatest Hits". I didn't laugh because I thought it was funny that they named what we all thought was going to be their first full-length release, Greatest Hits, I laughed because that is exactly what I wanted to call my first album when I was a youngster with a big dream of becoming a famous rock star. Despite my parents who tried so hard to keep me away from the rock star lifestyle seeing as they decided to name me Keith Thomas rather than Keith Richards, it was still my dream and prime focus for at least most of primary school.

But I digress.

Now that the album is out and about on the internet though, I can see why they named it Greatest Hits, and it's not because they read my inner monologue either. As a first-time listener to Captain Hollow, you may not see anything out of the ordinary about this album since everything is new to you anyways, but for someone who has been following these guys for too long now like myself, it is pretty clear what's up; this album is really Captain Hollow's greatest hits. The bulk of this album contains the innards of their first EP released a few years back ("Big Eyes", "Chewelah", and "The Bitter Tea of Yen") and one from their 2011 Tour EP ("Hour of Need"), plus a few previously unrecorded tracks, and a pretty much new to my ears at least track and single, "Blurry". And there you have it! The best hits of Captain Hollow all rolled into one eight song album for your listening pleasure, absolutely free while supplies last!

What's wrong with having a greatest hits album at this point, anyway? Adele already has at least 4 greatest hits albums and she's only been around since 2010 when Jack Penate donned a fat lady suit to get more attention in the US...

Who's Jack Penate?

Exactly.

Highlights: Every song is a highlight at 8 tracks. The new ones, "Meow Meow" (yep, they named their song that), "(All Fucked Up) Together", and "Stephanie Cornwitch"



Anyways, I guess that'a all I have to say about Greatest Hits. Was I hoping for more new tracks? Of course, but Captain Hollow just seem to be one of those bands you can't kill. They haven't gotten that Maine band memo that breaking up is way cooler than playing shows for maybe 50 people on a good night. Cappy Hollow will be coming out with a sequel to Greatest Hits five years from today; just you wait!


Thank You, Captain Hollow for never giving up! You were born and raised in a summer haze bound by the surprise of your glory. XOXOXOXOX




No comments:

Post a Comment