Monday, January 9, 2012

Monday XVII


More like Nofunday, am I right?

Nacho Picasso - For The Glory (2011)



I usually don't post guilty pleasures like this one but this is the MONDAY post and that entails that I must post the things that I randomly found and listened to a lot! Since the cool kids at my school haven't gotten their ears on this guy and neither have the hip blogs I go to for cultural discomfort, I figured post it now and regret it later. Ahh who cares? I do what I want!

Nacho Picasso is a Seattle rapper who raps about his costume shoes, Steve Urkel frames, tats, being a bad guy, doing gangster things to women and smoking. He also references Henry Rollins, Bad Brains and Marvel comic books, Carlton Banks, The Doors, Danny Glover, DMT and other stuff that is obviously cool to like when you should be straight G. Swag.

Rather than shouting or sounding like he wants to get all up in your boyfriend's face, his rhymes are very laid back as if he was just chilling on the couch smoking a bud. That's a saying right? His rhymes are perfected right on top of the over produced beats by Blue Sky Black Death & Raised By Wolves. I'm guessing they really want you to know they produced this album because it is informed on every track listed on his bandcamp. Oh! But "Dynamite" was co-produced by Eric G (cousin of Kenny G I'm also guessing) because there wasn't enough dank beats going on. Dynamite truthfully has a pretty mint beat to it. I could just be saying that because it features DMX's dog impressions in the intro.

But hey! If you just like the instrumentals they are also featured on his bandcamp. I'm not too sure if they are part of the physical copy, though. If there is one.

One thing I don't feel silly about listing, is that Blockhead remixes his track "Benjamin Segal" (Stephen Segal's cool brother I'm guessing). That's honestly dope. Fo Sho Mos Def.

Best line: I pay a juggalo to come for your jugular, If I like the jugs on her, then I'm probably druggin her. -From "Bad Guy" track number 1... The fucking first line!

Last.fm

Dad Rocks! - Mount Modern (2011)


Dad Rocks! went and released a full length in 2011 without me knowing, huh? Even after I signed up to be on his emailing list? Well that's okay because I just got the email for the single "Battle Hymn of the Fox Father" just released six days ago for free. The single also comes with a remix, but oh wait! There's also a whole remix album called Mount Modern Remixes or just Mount Remixes that incorprorates every track of the new release remixed by a different band. Every track including the B-side that is on the Weapons single!  So while you can merely stream DR!'s first full-lengther (if buying music is not your thing... I'm not judging... It's 2012) you can grab the Battle Hymn of the Fox Father single and the remix album for no money whatsoever! Now that's how promotion works! I think.

Dad Rocks! (not to be confused with Dads the twinkly emo band from New Jersey or the fact that his other band has a song called "Dads") is the solo project of Snævar Njáll Albertsson. He plays in the Danish band Mimas and has a very prominent singing voice. The Dad Rocks! sound is very much a splendid mix of chill folk and indie. The combination of his voice, acoustic guitare, some trumpets, violins and pianos help his sound go down real smooth. He also makes some swell as all hell covers too.




Smallhouse - Fennec EP (2011) 


Two grown men playing emo noodling math stuff. Short and sweet rough.


Also check out there other summer EP, The Sammy. Stay Still Records.


Last.fm


Joyce Manor - Joyce Manor (2011)




"Punk Rock for Pug puppies" - Last.fm


These guys put out a really good album in 2011. If only I had heard about it sooner. But that's what 2012 is for...


Joyce Manor are quickly becoming one of the best pop punk out there today. Would love to see them come up here to the Pine Tree State with RVIVR and Big Kids or any other cats making that sweet pop punk sound these days. Maybe even Blink 182!


Last.fm
Bandcamp

No comments:

Post a Comment