Monday, January 16, 2012

Monday XVIII

Happy Monday. Happy MLK Day. 

CityCop. - Seasons (2011)


Ohio's screamo with acoustic guitars and constant drumming band. This is there second release after The Hope in Forgiving & Giving Up Hope that was posted in an early installment of Monday. 

The instrumentation on this one is just as solid on this one if not stronger. Once in a while they try to do that La Dispute angst singing then do what I can only describe as pussy-ass-talk-singing (a good example of what I'm trying to express my concern with - is the second track, "Spring").  Luckily they've knocked it off a bit since their earlier release which is what I was hoping for. I'm glad they are maturing quickly and hopefully on the right track rather than going off and sounding like some kind of waterdown version of what this genre should be. But maybe they just want to sound childish... I don't know.

So much hate on Martin Luther King day. I apologize.

Also: The first song "bluebird" is a musical rendition of Charles Bukowski's poem of the same name


 
Old Soul - Old Soul (2011)


Classy folk and blues rock. That genre the kids like to call indie rock. And it's from Maine.

I'm really liking the song, "People Are Talking". It's all so simple and yet I really enjoy it all around!

That's all I really know about it though. No Last.fm? Facebook will do.





Gospel's The Moon is a Dead World is a very progressive mix of things such as post hardcore, early screamo, metal, and well... progressive rock I guess. It's very raw and covered in a thick patch of riffs and those other words that mean technical riffage. The drums are played at pounding speeds and frequent heartburn double bassing. There's also singing. 



And in honor of Martin Luther King Jr.'s big day, here is a song called Martin Luther King Day by lo-fi rock n rollers, Times New Vikings, off their 2009 hip cat approved release, Born Again Revisited:



Because they both made some noise in their day. Except no one calls MLK hipster bullshit. 

No comments:

Post a Comment