Saturday, January 21, 2012

Mouth Washington Demo

Sorry for the lake of regular posts on NFT recently. I've been doing a lot of scheming and planning on some big projects for the future. I've also been planning on excuses to write.

Mouth Washington - Dichotomy Demos (2011)


Mouth Washington are a Portland, Maine noisy and loud post punk band of today. Frontman Max really brings this band to life even before the music plays when explaining the next three songs will be about police brutality and another about what "you are sippin' on". Then when the music comes in like a disabled dog out of the starting gate and filthy nonsense is spilt from the bands instruments you know they are alive and kicking. And only alive and kicking to bring you the funniest time you have ever had at a punk show. The lyrics are none more serious and the drummer (Max's brother I believe) plays like he hasn't had the chance to get on the drums in years! Just a four limb free for all. I don't mind though... I would do the same. 

Every time I see these guys play I am entertained. They don't even have to play music. They are just those kind of people. It's cool that they do though!

This is only their Demo and while i thought it wouldn't do them justice at first, I really am surprised to hear that it actually does capture some of what these guys have to offer music wise. It's still missing their live atmosphere and ridiculous introductions by Max but in a demo aspect the recording couldn't have come out any better for these guys and if it did, well then, it would not have been Mouth Washington.

These guys play some sweet shows down here and around Portland and are the kind of local band ever city should have. They stay true to themselves, aren't looking to be famous, don't care if they aren't the next Iceage or Wavves, don't need to sound like gold records and most of all entertain the audience and love playing music. Whether they love playing with each other is their own business. Whether they like playing with themselves is really their own business.

They also just played a show with Cattle Drums, who I have posted here before, last month and I missed it.  Always a drag when that happens! Hope those guys come back up here some day and play at least a 18+ show so I can see 'em. For Mouth Washington though, I know I'll be seeing them again. 


No comments:

Post a Comment