Monday, February 6, 2012

Monday XXI


Monday's all grown up! Go drink the weekend away! Stay safe Monday!

The Act of Estimating as Worthless - Among These Splintered Minds//Leaden Thoughts Sing Softly (2012)


The Act of Estimating as Worth are a really splendid indie folk band from New York. The duel vocals of Zoe and Matt are very cute in a Good Luck sort of way and remind me of some kind of Kimya Dawson project like Moldy Peaches or Antsy Pantsy but with a frontman like Bill Callahan or David Berman. It's much more relaxed than Dawson overall though and, while songs like "My Left Thumb" and "Nickels and Dimes" are very cute, there is still a bit of a "hey this is just a song and I want to sing it without trying to 'awwww' you" type of attitude. If that makes any sense.. 

I guess cute wasn't a good adjective.

Among These Splintered Minds//Leaden Thoughts Sing Softly is due out on Cassette February 24th. You can get if for free at their bandcamp, however, if you do not have a cassette player or walkman anymore. You should probably get one of those if you want to be cool though...

Last.fm
Bandcamp

La Quiete - La fin non è la fin (2004)



Think Italian Daitro or Raein's drummer's other band. Very screamo. Very real. Very emotional. Very Italian.

Last.fm

Why? - Elephant Eyelash (2005)


I guess I'll diversify this Monday post a little more with one of my all time favorite bands, Why? Why? Why not?!

The indie rock band with a little pep in their step's classic, Elephant Eyelash from the year 2005 is right up there with Alopecia (for me at least and probably many others). The thing I love about Why? is that I can hear a track from them I haven't yet, went to hear again a minute later and then let it become my new favorite. Elephant Eyelash is a prime example of this. Where it lacks in standout tracks that Alopecia had like "Vowels Pt. 2" and "The Hollows", Elephant Eyelash lets you enjoy tracks like "Gemini (Birthday Song)" and "Fall Saddles" that while aren't super over produced become really lovable growers. Once you listen to the album you will want to go back and listen to it again. The standout track in Elephant Eyelash would have to go to "Rubber Traits". The dark horse; "Act Five". "Act Five" might be my favorite Why? track that'll probably never get the respect it will deserve. Especially with superb lyrics like "All the people who taught me card tricks are dying/I've been trying/To steal my grandfather's handsome from old photographs". That line gets me every time.

Damn, I actually had to listen to that song two times in a row right after mentioning it! So good.

Last.fm

And since the New York Giants won that fantastic puppy bowl last night... Here's their other release:

Giants - They, The Undeserved (2007)


Very similar to Old Stories but with a little more glock.

"Withered Life: Communal Rhythm", "Under the New Sun" and "Steps In Static Progression" definitely have to be standout tracks on this one. Listen to them all though!

Last.fm

Great job.

No comments:

Post a Comment