Monday, February 27, 2012

Monday XXIV


Everybody do the Warner Bros. Family Entertainment trademark owned region beyond the earth's atmosphere jamboree. It's Monday.

Brave Bird - Ready or Not EP (2010)


Brave Bird is a twinkly emo punk band from Ann Arbor, Michigan. I did some research on Ann Arbor and learned that it is the sixth largest city in Michigan, home of The University of Michigan, and that people from Ann Arbor are called Ann Arborites or townies for the long-termers.

Every track on Ready or Not brings something new to my ears. The vox are nothing I haven't heard before but then again, that's not all they are going for or have to offer. I can't say there is ever a dull moment but I never get more excited then when I hear the first 30 minutes of Scared Enough.

Bandcamp
Last.fm

Treehouse - Treehouse (2011)


Emotionally aggressive and constantly moving, Treehouse brings some life back in to the SLC punk scene.

That's what it would sound like if they needed a really cool quote for the back of their autobiography.

I did some research on Salt Lake City and learned that it is most populous city in Utah, the 45th state and 34th most populous in the US. All the High School Musicals, Independence Day, and Touched by an Angel have all been recorded in Salt Lake City.

My favorite track has to be "Processing..." and it's little whistle solo in the middle there.

Last.fm

Caddywhompus - Remainder (2010)


Caddywhompus mix the ever indulgent sound of noisy pop with the even more indulgent midnight cravings of psychedelic music. Luckily for us, the two gentlemen behind the control pannel of this spiraling out of control music machine gloss on a layer of distortion and lo-fi soot just so our brains don't explode from clean beauty and art. I'm not hating on them for keeping a lo-fi sound where things could just be heard loud and clear and still have the say outcome. That's really no big deal. It's also what sets them apart from the rest in a way, I would have to say...

I gave these guys an honorable mention last year as one of the more interesting pieces of work in 2011 with their release of The Weight, a mention they rightfully deserve in my book. Their 2010 full length, Remainder is just as exciting and definitely something to go all music nerd about.

Last.fm

Jordaan Mason & the Horse Museum - Divorce Lawyers I Shaved My Head (2009)


I first learned about Jordaan Mason and his capability of playing some deep folk music from CLLCT and the scattered tracks of his that are up on the current site. My attention wasn't totally attached my this guy all that much, that is, until I heard Divorce Lawyers I Shaved My head, a truly complex tell of "failed marriage between two people of confused genders and identities" along with a bunch of popular topics such as glandolinian war, swallowing shotguns, horses, shaving your head, vomiting and the 1990 apocalypse. With all these different themes it's bound to keep me listening just to figure it all out.

The First time I heard Divorce Lawyers I Shaved My Head was definitely like the first time I heard Neutral Milk Hotel's In An Aeroplane Over the Sea, not just because they both feature singing saw (which I love), stories that only Mason and Mangum could understand, requires a bunch of extras to sit around until they can play a few simple notes on their horn or that the dark depths of the internet eat shit like this up for breakfast - A breakfast that consists of Cookie Crisp and Haterade - but eaten up completely none the less. The internet loves to hate and hates to love things like this; a work of art that no one can really relate to... except (and maybe not even them) it's creator.

That's what I heard at least.

Bandcamp
Last.fm

No comments:

Post a Comment