Wednesday, February 15, 2012

NFT's Got You Covered! Musicals!

Songs From Musicals: A CLLCT Compilation (2011)


Here's a really interesting compilation from the DIY and bedroom artists of CLLCT, a nice little place where artists of relatively small exposure share their music to their friends, fellow musicians, and, well, us! CLLCT has a lot of sound cover compilations that will probably make their way on to this blog someway or another. That is, if they keep CLLCT.com open or not. Some days it is there and others it is mysteriously vanished. Poof! Gone with the wind.

Song From Musicals is exactly what it says it is. 15 or so Lo-fi, indie, acoustic bands playing covers of songs featured in musicals. Who doesn't love musicals? Don't answer that. Whether you like musicals or not, I think you'll enjoy this compilation and the renditions that were put on by artists such as Carlz Barkely, Your Yellow Dress, Dipstick & Eggnog, Surprise Big Yawn, failedsitcom and Garden On A Trampoline AKA G.O.A.T. AKA James Eric (whom up'd this comp for us).

For the musical picks we've got high school musical classics like: Beauty and the Beast, Jesus Christ Superstar, Wizard of Oz, Les Mis, Music Man, and Sound of Music (bonus track). Classic musical films  like Pete's Dragon, The Muppet Movie (yes, I conceder those two classics), Little Shop of Horrors, Seven Brides For Seven Brothers, Torch Song, My Fair Lady, Xanadu and films and musicals in the between like Woody Allen's Everyone Says I Love You, Elton John and Tim Rice's Aida, and the cult classic Hedwig and the Angry Inch. I know, no Cats or Guys n Dolls... but hey! There is supposed to be a volume two in the works! So be crossing those fingers, boys...

I really got to give it to James Eric for this one. Along with uploading the compilation to the website, he also contributed three covers (plus one more as a bonus)! And they are all good! My favorite has to be "Movin' Right Along" from the Muppet Movie, originally sung by Kermit and Fozzie. It is nice to see something other than The Rainbow Connection (and "It's Not Easy Bein' Green" but that song didn't rear its ugly head in the 1979 Muppet flick) covered these days.

Some of my other favorites from the bunch have to be: "Midnight Radio" (Hedwig) by One Tough Cookie, "What Have I Done?" (Les Miserables) by Kelly Latimore, "Something There" (Beauty and the Beast of which I totally went to the 3D showing a couple weekends ago!) by Carlz Barkley, and "I Swear I Saw a Dragon" (Pete's Dragon) by Dipstick & Eggnog.

Check this out for sure!

CLLCT.com
Last.fm (GOAT)
Last.fm (CLLCT)

P.S. I'm really surprised I did not make any musical jokes I may have regretted later.

Like: I may have been in the marching band but at least I wasn't in the musical.

or

Musicals.

No comments:

Post a Comment