Friday, May 11, 2012

Adam & Naive - Every Starry Night

Adam & Naive - Every Starry Night (2010)


With the rain finally clearing for one second in my neck of the woods and finals on the horizon, it really only hit me today that summer vacation is almost here. For the lucky ones reading who are already on vacation or do not have anything holding them down from enjoying the hopefully warm and end-of-spring-here-we-go-summer days ahead, this is definitely something you want to check out and listen to while I sit in a classroom filled with a bunch of people I've had to deal with since elementary school, some even from kindergarden, and finish my very last high school final. Ever. And while this might not be of any concern or care to you, I thought I would throw that out there.

To the subject at hand....

Adam & Naive, the band from NY and its music, is something. What that something is I can only describe using words and phrases like: summer, friends, funky, chill-maxing, fucking, warm, sun, Capri Sun pouches, pool parties, campfires on the beach, pizza, and stuff. I could probably take all these words and expressions and make a comprehensible well-written and well-thought-out thesis or music-to-word analysis to go along with Adam & Naive and their 2010 sunburst of an album, "Every Starry Night", a piece of work that could easily be a top contender for my summer '11 soundtrack, but I would rather just say those words. That's just how Adam & Naive's music is for me.

Feelings. Woah, deep.

Along with capturing a whole season in one album some how, "Every Starry Night" truly has a lot to offer. Whether it's the fact that it sounds just like the album cover or that someone bumped up the bass on the recording to give it a subtle math rock-ish feel while not actually being math rock, emo, or twinkly at all. The drumming is super fun-sounding is probably what I'm really trying to say, I guess, I don't know... I just like the way it sounds is all. I like the way it all sounds. It all sounds super fun. It is all super fun. Ahhhhhhhhh

To see and hear just who these fine gentlemen are, they do have goofy little documentary from 2007 that looks like someone's video production class final project (ironically, that is a final I will be doing very soon). It is however, a good look at who is in the band and just the kind of folks we are dealing with. The documentary is 5 or so years old, so I'm guessing they have grown up a bit more then when this masterpiece was conceived. For what it's worth though, These guys still played cooler music back then than any of the bands I played in at that age. Scratch that... any band I have ever played in.

 Even if their favorite artists were Picasso, Nelly, Nelly Furtado, or Click Five.

All their music is free off Practice Room Records. A record/collective started by the band to sponsor and release their work as Adam & Naive along with all the other projects they are in. There's also a video of the A&N gang a little older talking about this release up there on PRR's /Adam & Naive/ page. It features some mad pizza tricks! Check it out!

Similar acts/sounds: Animal Collective, Palmkite, Chalk Talk, Deer Leap, The World is a Beautiful Place & I am No Longer Afraid to Die, penpal, Trestin Eeling, City Museum, Glass Frog and other Practice Room acts.


Myspace
Bandcamp
Last.fm

No comments:

Post a Comment