Monday, May 21, 2012

Monday XXXVI


Instagramed for more likes.

Hold Tight! - Call The Zoo (2011)


Lego pop punk from Richmond, Virginia. Every song is under a minute and stuff.

Death To False Records
Last.fm

Rainbow Tornado - Fancy Cookies (2007)


Twinkly emo with goofy lyrics/vox. They were originally called Oh My God Elephant but switched to Rainbow Tornado, released Fancy Cookies, and then called it quits. Members went on to form Clarissa Explains It All (the awesome band not the awesome show), tussin, Hawkward, and do dnt spk. If you like this, you'll absolutely like (or love, if that's what you're into) Clarissa Explains It All and/or vice-versa.

Are You For Spiritual?
Last.fm

Weekend Nachos - Worthless (2011)


There's not a lot I can say about this one that other blogs haven't already said.... so I won't. I remember giving these guys a listen a while back before the release of Worthless last year and I distinctively remember them being quite the grindcore outfit. The more I listen to them now though, I can also hear the hardcore and 'powerviolent' sounds that their music displays. Worthless however, is much more on the hardcore driven side of things (not that grindcore isn't a good direction) and even has people saying that it was not only the best hardcore album of the year but also "the most vitriolic hardcore album of the new millenium". I don't know about that, or even what that means, but I would have to admit that it is pretty damn good. Balls-busting good.

Bandcamp
Last.fm

Hop Along - Get Disowned (2012)


Hop Along, formerly 'Hop Along, Queen Ansleis' (the side project of singer/songwriter, Frances Quinlan), just released their first full-fledged album a couple weeks ago after two years of recording and jamming in a warehouse in Philadelphia. I don't want to scare you away by saying it's not as good as 'freshman year' but that was a masterpiece in my eyes (and ears). Get Disowned is still a super sweet treat and has all the tasty bits we heard from Frances Quinlan and her super additive and catchy vocals when it was just her but now it's not just her. AKA it has more instruments playing in the background and occasional back-up vocals, but other than that it is everything I could have asked for, no doubt. Give it a try for yourself though, please!

My favorite track as of right now would have to be, "Tibetan Pop Stars".

I would sure love to see these outstanding musicians come up to my neck of the woods to play sometime...

(sorry no DL)

Last.fm


No comments:

Post a Comment