Monday, July 30, 2012

Monday XXXXVI

Ayeyeye!

Wheelchair Sports Camp - Where We Live EP (2012)


Wheelchair Sports Camp is a disabled, but held down by no one, female rapper from Denver. I had a chance to see her perform the other night at a hip-hop show (+ drag show but that's a story for another time) that truly blew me away! Accompanied by live sax and drum work from the "renegade marching band", What Cheer? Brigade, Wheelchair Sports Camp relentlessly spit deep rhymes, only coming for air to thank everyone for showing up on time and that she was from Denver. I was really impressed by her rapping ability and how her flow with the electronic beats and live instruments blended together.

Despite being confined to a wheelchair, she seems very free with the music she is making! I hope to see her and 'Wheelchair Sports Camp' get the recognition they deserve. Listen up!

Last.fm


3nd - World Tour (2009)



 Really superb math rock from Japan. Like a lot of other Japanese math groups but a little more energetic sounding at times like Pneu or early Tera Melos but also have a very sharp post rock side to them as well. The speed is what I enjoy most, hands down.

Last.fm

Rob Sonic - Sabotage Gigante (2007)


Saw this at a local record store the other day for 2 bucks and remembered how much I liked it after hearing some of Sonic's stuff on the Tony Hawk games (where I got most of my hip-hop taste from truthfully. Looking back on the games though, the hip-hop featured in the series was actually pretty high class stuff!). My rediscovery of this album only strengthens my current hip-hop mood I'm in and is hopefully appropriate for you guys too!

Stand out tracks include, "Smoke If You Got 'um" featuring Aesop Rock, "Spy Hunter" featuring Busdriver, and "Mother Of All Bombs" which can be heard in Tony Hawk's American Wasteland!

Last.fm

Sorry for the links. Things got worse this week as my keyboard tricked me into letting me use all caps but signed me out of my Google accounts. I can't seem to get back in even though I have copy pasta'd my password into the password box multiple times... My keyboard is now back to symbols only and I'm doing this on my smart phone of choice that kind of rhymes with fuckyouimnotgoingtoworkPhone.

No comments:

Post a Comment