Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Okay- Huggable Dust

Okay is the moniker of Marty Anderson of sporadic math rock band, Dilute. While Dilute was filled with start and stop, taps, and distant bloops and blips; Okay is filled with light-hearted indie rock instrumentation with Marty Anderson really displaying his vocals and all around unique voice... this time... without coming off a little creepy sounding. I love the two bands equally, don't get me wrong, but there is a vastly different approach between them that I felt needed pointing out.

Okay - Huggable Dust (2008)


'Huggable Dust' is Okay's (and Anderson's) 18 song, 2008 release. It features many great little indie gems like "Only", "Natural", "Panda", and "Pretend". I don't listen to as many "indie rock" bands that I did maybe a few years back but there's something about Okay and the way Marty Anderson sings over the music. It's almost as if these songs shouldn't be as delicate as they are; like there's supposed to be chaos in it all and instead it was replaced by beautiful major music. The closest it gets to chaotic is the tracks, "Beast" or "Truce" or "Already" I guess, but even then those still feel like the right amount of noise and balance. All of 'Huggable Dust' is like that actually... really well put together and balanced. With 18 songs on it, I don't think there is ever a time when I listen to it all the way through that I really start to get bored.


Along with Okay, Marty Anderson also has been known to call himself Jacques Kopstein. He has released one album under the name and it's called 'A'. It also features "dreamy and damaged folk pop" (Aquarius Records) but a little more stripped down and experimental.

Similar acts/sounds: Dilute, Jacques Kopstein, Natural Dreamers, Sarcastic Dharma Society, François Virot, car seat headrest, Coma Cinema, Misophone, Phil Elvrum, Karl Blau, Kickball, Foot Ox and other stuff I like...

Myspace
Last.fm

No comments:

Post a Comment