Sunday, October 30, 2011

Frontier Ruckus - The Orion Songbook (& Snowtober)

Just when I was enjoying the good old brisk autumn weather of New England, nature effing jumps the gun and delivers some white stuff all over itself. (I'm talking about snow... )Two days before halloween no less! The news is cleverly calling it Snowtober and I'm cleverly getting pissed off. Wait your turn winter.

Regardless of the early snowfall, I've got some nice little fall-ish folk that I was meaning to post this month. It actually fits pretty well.

Frontier Ruckus - The Orion Songbook (2008)


Frontier Ruckus is voiced through Matthew Milia, propelled my banjos and harmonicas, and fueled by distant memories of the past. All in all, this is really solid folk music with hints of bluegrass and alt-country (but not to much, it's chill). The beauty lies in the atmosphere it brings to mind. The atmosphere of being in the woods with your friends just laughing and reminiscing about the good ol' days. In the end, after the day is done and you've left those cold woods, you feel a little sad inside but it's a good sad. The kind of sad that makes you sane. The kind of sad that makes you think rationally and honest. Like truth serum.

One of Orion Songbook's best feature has to be the singing saw that wakes up towards the middle of the first song (Animals Need Animals) and continues on through the album like a spirit of the stories told. I'm a huge fan of singing saw and this album and band uses it very well.

Fans of folk music will have no trouble getting into Frontier Ruckus, especially Milia's voice and the "Crosby Stills and Nash harmonies".

Just turn this on and watch the snow melt.

Last.fm
Official site
Now I am older, I know what homes are for

Frontier Ruckus is currently touring with Lady Lamb the Beekeeper (formally of Maine) which is totally rad!

I hope these guys come back to Portland some time.

No comments:

Post a Comment