Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Irepress & The Goonies

Irepress play a progressive post-metal sound that is quite funky and different. They like to call it "disco metal". It sounds interesting what ever it is.

Irepress - Samus Octology (2007)


The coolest thing about this band is their love of The Goonies. Now, I love The Goonies too, so when I found out they actually synced up their Album, Samus Octology (which sounds more like a Metroid reference) I was absolutely hooked. The end result might just be like putting The Dark Side of the Moon up side by side with The Wizard of Oz where your like yeah that fits I guess, but hey! What a sick idea.

Their used to be a video up on Irepress's Myspace that had the whole movie synced up, if I remember right. I'm guessing it got taken down or something. There is still a few Youtube videos kicking around that show the effects though. I suggest you try it yourself if you have the super sweet 80's kid adventure  flick, The Goonies lying around to hear and see just how it lines up.


Other examples of their fondness for The Goonies include a few sweet Goonie themed banners as well as the song, Fletchie, a drum 'n' bass like song off their next album after Samus Octology, entitled Sol Eye Sea I that features little snippets of sampled lines from Mikey the main character.

I'm not sure if these guys are going to be putting out new music and time soon. They did release a single featuring The Number Twelve Looks Like You's singer, Shaolin Knights in late 2010 which is up for free still. The notes say that they have gone back to their roots when they had two singers doing that sing/scream gibba gabba and weren't playing sweet and sludgy progressive post-rock music. I just hope that's for that one track because to me, that just seems like a step in the wrong direction.

 Also: According to their Myspace, they've shared the same stage with Wu-Tang Clan.

Last.fm
Myspace
The Goonies

No comments:

Post a Comment