Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Attic Abasement - Dancing is Depressing

Mike Rheinheimer from Attic Abasement is the kind of guy that does not give a fuck. he would not give even a fuck if Jesus himself came back. That is, according to the songs he sings and how he goes about singing them. With a dry, seemingly unemotional and often vulgar dialect, Mike gives Attic Abasement a little bit of a sarcastic edginess that he delivers right to your ears. Is he bitter? Is he upset? I don't think so...

Attic Abasement - Dancing is Depressing (2010)


Is Attic Abasement just a vehicle for Mike to express how bummed he is? maybe, but I just think that the dry and lackadaisicalness in his delivery is just how he sings and an influence on straight-forward, alright here we go, I'm going to sing this, kind of style made famous by guys like David Berman (Silver Jews) or Bill Callahan (Smog). Again, I'm only making this judgement according to how he sings and that he actually plays a cover of "Self Ignition" by Silver Jews. Anyway you slice it though, I have always liked it since day one!

Other notable bits would have to be the simple but laid back sprinkles of guitar and drums that accompany Mike's unique vox. And that he throws in seemingly awkward lines such as "I... can't think with my dick", "lady, I'm sorry but you married a dick", "I'm sorry about your dick" any other line using "dick" and are actually sung at such a "I don't give a fuck" attitude that they don't sound awkward at all and actually stick like glue. The constant use of lines are also super catchy. Catchy!?! That's right, did I mention this music is also super catchy? It's super catchy.

Here's his 2010 release, Dancing is Depressing. All the tracks pretty much follow the same style with some just a little more acoustic. The standout tracks have to go to "Australia" and "A Werewolf"(*example below*).


Similar sounds/acts: Silver Jews, A Wonderful, Hello Shark, Dad Rocks!, Smog, Kimya Dawson, Coma Cinema (at times) and some more maybe... We'll find 'em!

Official site
Bandcamp
Last.fm (all tracks from Dancing is Depressing are free under "tracks")

Why wouldn't you make friends with me?

No comments:

Post a Comment