Wednesday, March 28, 2012

NFT's Got You Covered! The Boss by Paul & Ginger!

Well well well. I've been waiting a long time now to post this badd boy (that's right, two d's!) but it just wasn't the right time, that is, until now. Why is now a good time? Because not only did I finally get the physical copy but I got the copy straight from Paul Baribeau himself. Yep. Spraynard brought a friend with them to their show monday night and it was none other then fucking Paul Baribeau himself/in the flesh/live! The way Paul (we're on first name basis now, obviously) put it was, "yeah, Spraynard were going on tour for their new album and I basically just jumped on board last minute". And for that Paul, we thank you.

So yeah. I went to a Paul Baribeau show last monday night and picked this up. But wait! I forgot to say what this "this" is. Well it's boss whatever "this" is. Boss like The Boss. Who's The Boss? No not that Boss, Tony Danza... The Boss of rock 'n' roll... Bruce Springsteen! The release of 'steen covers is called Darkness On The Edge Of Town (Tour) (also a track covered on the album) and along for the bumpy ride and "bossing it up" with Paul, is Ginger Alford of Good Luck, Traveling and One Reason. The duo came up with the idea after the first time Ginger saw Paul and he was playing a Bruce Springsteen track in Detroit according to the end of the live "Pink Cadillac" cover. During their first meeting in "D-town" they began talking about a "Springsteen only" tour and BOOM! It happened! Darkness On The Edge Of Town is proof of this and features some of the best Bruce. I'm taking Thunder Road/Born to Run/Atlantic City Bruce.

But most importantly, Bruce and only Bruce.

Paul Baribeau & Ginger Alford - Darkness On The Edge Of Town (2006)


I've already given away some of the covers Paul and Ginger picked but I don't actually want to give 'em all away if you are a Springsteen fan and know any other song than "Born To Run". I will say however, that the "Thunder Road" cover can be found on Paul's 25 song shenanigans album which can be listened to here or read about in a previous post on NFT here.

And since I already gave away that Paul and Ginger play solo Bruce Springsteen's crime romance soft-hard jam, "Atlantic City", here's what it sounds like:


To be honost though, I myself don't listen to a lot of Springsteen other then to bug my anti-Springsteen friends. Not to mention that anytime I start hearing Christmas Springsteen, I get this nervous twitch and try to burn the Christmas tree down. Just another Christmas at the New Keith household is all. Paul and Ginger's Darkness On The Town is all the Springsteen I need anyways.

Unfortunately, Paul didn't play any of these Boss covers at the show and there wasn't any appearance by Ginger. He did play Barbarella (Jane Fonda is a hell of a thing) and meowed almost half of The Wall (I think it was).

The most ironic thing about this post is that the real Bruce Springsteen was playing at the Garden in Boston last monday night while I was watching Paul play on a kids nylon string acoustic guitar in a little basement in Portland, Maine. It's also worthy to note that I was just in Boston... also for a show. I'll get to that most interesting story some other time (hopefully this week). I just haven't had the chance with all this Paul Baribeau/Spraynard nonsense. Trust me though, It's interesting... not just, "hey, look at this awesome mixtape I found at this really awful place"*, interesting.

*I wasn't taking about this post.

Last.fm (Paul Baribeau)
Last.fm (Paul Baribeau and Ginger Alford)

I warned you there would be Bruce Springsteen. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment