Friday, March 30, 2012

Huak - Sleep Debt

Huak - Secret Trees EP (2009)


I feel bad that I haven't mentioned Huak, the noisy post punk a la Fugazi gang from Portland, Maine and how they also played with Paul Baribeau and Spraynard last monday night. So now I'm mentioning it.

This is their EP from 2009 and is the material that I was first introduced to by Huak. Last monday was the first time I had seen Huak since they released Yorba Linda, of which I reviewed last September. It was nice to see them again, especially after the small hiatus they were on while their Jake absence was participating in Occupy Wall Street. It was pretty fun to see Jake trying to stand in the Poland Street basement again. Jake may be the tallest person I know.

It was also nice to hear some older tracks like "Monument" from Sleep Debt in between tracks from their full-length and a new one about a friend who was tasered at Wall Street for no reason. He was in charge of the fun committee. Some of the other tracks played last monday were "Teenage Idealist", "Our Friends" and "Stuffed" for the closer.

My favorite track on Secret Trees would have to be "Sleep Debt". If I remember right, I believe I put it on the first Nostalgia For Tomorrow mixtape I ever made, which is where I got the name for this blog from. Someday when I'm a little more internet savvy, I'll post the whole mix for everyone. Every time I've tried getting it out to the world before, I've just ran into errors or my computer has crashed.

I mean exploded!

Similar sounds/acts: Fugazi, Q and not U, Red Medicine, Grass is Green, The Waldos, Metal Feathers, Pamola, and more-ish.

PS: Both Snoop Dogg and Barack Obama are in Portland today.

A beautiful event to cap off Diversity Week here in Maine.

Bandcamp
Last.fm

No comments:

Post a Comment