Monday, March 19, 2012

Monday XXVII


Happy birthday Tupac.

Tupac Amaru II that is.

Music:

Rites of Spring - End on End (1991) 


Very early emo from the DC area and rocked the Dischord label for only one full length and a 7". Oh, and they defied musical and stylistic rule or something. I guess you could say they were quite the trend setters. I could talk about how unfortunate it was that bands people don't like had to follow them and tarnish the name of emo by creating something different out of years of inspiration and hard work, but I'd rather just listen to whatever I want and not care about that gibba-gabba. If you really wanna cut out the fat all together, then call it punk. See if I care.

Brendan and Guy from the band went on to star in the influential film series Fugazi that spawned many sequels such as Margin Walker, 13 Songs, Red Medicine, Repeater, and The Argument. If you haven't seen any of them I'd suggest you go check 'em out. Ask your local library if they may have some of their laserdiscs lying around in the back there.


Pianos Become The Teeth - Saltwater (2010)


Another band with an even more trolled genre, Pianos Become The Teeth play a mega emotional mix of "screamo" and post rock goodness. It gets really gushy and swirly all over the place but still hooks me every time. I was listening to a lot of PBTT last night and remembered that I have yet to post anything my them on here.. so here you go! Saltwater is their 2010 EP release and is probably my favorite all in all. I like to think it leans much more on the post rocky side at times especially with "All Children Make Mistakes" and the interlude. That side of it definitely tells the story of the album with much more ease and adds on another 100 pounds of emotion in the process. 




For fans of Das Racist, Grand Buffet, Anticon,  and let's face it - we are white and aren't gangster so let's just be funny and goofy rap. 

I can't say I know a lot about Zachg other then he has this piece and is most likely associated with Rad Reef, "a collective for artists, and other people looking to survive life without it costing so much" because I found it on Rad Reef's bandcamp after randomly clicking through links and things. For anyone interested, I starting here. I also know that he wants to release 20 records this year; sonTER MASic being his fifth release and first LP of 2012. 

I'm also trying to figure out the name of the album. If you mix the letters of sonTER MASic around you also get MASTER sonic and A sic MonsTER. Not sure if I cracked the code there, but yeah... 


Coma Cinema - Baby Prayers (2009)


Indie pop and what not. I noticed the name Coma Cinema once and a while last year but thought it was something else. I thought it was like Wu Lyf or Reading Rainbow, but Coma Cinema actually have much more of a listenable sound. I wouldn't have been surprised for a second either, if I saw "Elephant 6" somewhere next to the name. Don't get me wrong, that's not a bad thing. That's a good thing!

I also didn't know that Coma Cinema was actually just one guy. A guy named Mat Cothran who plays real instruments and records them on a bunch of different devices, no less. 

If Coma Cinema is really chillwave like I have read, this release, Baby Prayers surely is not. 

No comments:

Post a Comment