Saturday, March 10, 2012

The Tallest Man On Earth part 2

Nothing says springtime like Kristian Matsson AKA The Tallest Man on Earth's beautiful folk work. As I was getting lunch at a nice little local place yesterday, I noticed that they were playing some TTMOE and I couldn't help but sing along to myself. I knew I was going to post this soon and felt that I must not be the only person who thinks it's almost that time of the season again. Not just The Tallest Man on Earth season either...

The Tallest Man on Earth - The Wild Hunt (2010)


After hearing all of Matsson's wonderfully folky stuff sometime in 2010, I rushed out to get this new album at the time just to hear what he had for us next. I was a little hesitant, as all listeners should, about what he could have done to try to top Shallow Grave or his S/T and if it was something totally different for better or worse. Well, after my first couple listens I definitely didn't hear anything that wasn't classic TTMOE raw folk delivery, but did it stand out above the rest? That's hard to say. I had a feeling that this was even more polished and less raw than Shallow Grave but it also had a lot to hold on to, from my favorite Bob Dylan song "Boots of Spanish Leather" references ("King of Spain" *example down below*), a standout title track, and something we had yet to hear... a piano ballad. "Kids on the Run" is the name of the piano ballad closer and it reeks of Ben Folds Five (especially his 90s abortion hit, "Brick"). That sounds like a bad thing, oops. I still think that the track is priceless and something different from Matsson that we hadn't heard before (at least recording wise). Any who, I think The Wild Hunt is still one of my favorites, maybe just because I like to play it a lot and was the first TTMOE I actually bought or maybe just because it is.


The Tallest Man on Earth - Sometimes the Blues Is Just a Passing Bird (2010)


The Tallest Man on Earth's 2010 follow-up EP, Sometimes the Blues Is Just a Passing Bird is probably the most unfamiliar release for me. Not because I think it's anything less of what TTMOE is capable of or nothing new, it's just that I choose to only listen to this only once and a while so it always stays new to me. Maybe when he releases a new full length I'll outplay the shit out of this Extended Play but for now, I'll play it like it was his last.

Official site
Myspace
Last.fm

Part 1

Elsewhere but still The Tallest Man on Earth Relation:

Check out Kristian Matsson covering "Dancing in the Moonlight" with a full band on a Swedish show called "Pa Sparet". It must be some kind of game show because everyone looks really serious rather than super excited that this is happening right now. I think overall it looks really funny with Matsson dancing around with just a sweater and pants on while all these dressed up musicians behind him play a spot on interpretation of the original track. This is definitely not the kind of cover that we see from Matsson as it is not a stripped down version of the original; just him and his guitar and that voice. I still love it because this is not a King Harvest "Dancing in the Moonlight" cover but a "Dancing in the Moonlight (It's Caught Me in Its Spotlight)" Thin Lizzy cover... and boy do I love Thin Lizzy! Plus it's cool to see what Matsson can do with a tune by another legendary voice, Phil Lynott.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment