Monday, September 5, 2011

Butcher Boy

I remember what seems like years ago, going up to Farmington to see Pamola and fill in drum for Grunt (which didn't work out and now can never call myself the other drummer for the greatest south p-town heavy band) in a little ol' punk show. The punk show that night was filled to the brim with local legends and acts including Jakob Battick & Friends, Eyes Like Fire (don't even get me started), and Pamola. There was also a little folk punk band that hadn't even really thought of a name before playing this show so they went with "Skinny Pete" after the lead singer who also played and currently in Pamola, Pete. The whole performance took me by surprise. Pete, along with emotionally and folkishly screeching his lyrics, strummed his banjo like there was no place to go and a fire had to be started before dawn or no one in the room would survive past the night. He sang a song about only sleeping to die which hunted me for weeks after. I thought that I would never be able to get my big ears on that song ever again until one day, I some how ran across Butcher Boy's facebook page to find that Copy Of A Copy Of A Person was the long lost Skinny Pete song I had heard that cold November night up in farm-town, Maine. Sooner or later it was put on bandcamp and I quickly ate that shit up. According to the bandcamp page for Turn The Devil Away, Butcher Boy has now evolved their sound and mood but still just want to have a good time. Unfortunately for me though, I don't think they play Copy Of A Copy Of A Person anymore. Either way, folks and punks should most definitely check out this frantic folk outfit if you are in the area and have nothing better to do (what could you be doing that's better, come on, don't kid yourself). I know I will be checking these lads out again real soon just to see how much they've matured as a whole since seeing Skinny Pete some time ago.

Turn The Devil Away (officially released 2011)


Get Butchered (2011) (live performance at The Oak and The Ax in Biddeford)


Rough Draft Records
F-book page

They are aware there is Glasgow band my the name of Butcher Boy and they don't care. So there is that.

No comments:

Post a Comment