Friday, September 2, 2011

Dead ConfedeRATe


Dead Confederate is a psychedelic southern infused rock band hailing from Athens, Georgia. Not only does the south give them a nice grungy type feel to their work, it also has given them wonderful personalities. I've met this band two separate times in Boston and every time they blew me away with a fantastic performance and many a few kind conversations. About what I have now forgotten (unfortunately). They play a sometimes dark and melancholy blanket of sound or loud and pounding form of art that is full of organ, slide guitar and almost Cobainesque vocals (and I mean that in the most motivating and positive way possible). These guys are criminally underrated. That's coming from someone who finds that saying a band is underrated is super overrated! But it's true. Give these gents a listen. Their sound is full and begging to be listened to!~

Just recently the band said farewell to their drummer, Jason Scarboro. His contribution to this band is phenomenal.

Dead Confederate - Wrecking Ball (2008)



I can still remember hearing this album for the first time after my good friend Higbooooooooooooone told me all about this gem. It was right around the time my grandmother passed away and I just found myself getting lost in this album. It oozes psychedelic greatness and bangs out some noisy rock n roll. Some songs just blast right out in your face. Some take their time and creep up on you. Some build into a mess of angst and dirty glory. If you're not sure about them, please check out The Rat!



Their newer album Sugar is a little more produced than any of their previous works (EP, Wrecking Ball, Dirty Ammo live EP). It features J Mascis (Dinosaur Jr./Deep Wound) in the radio friendly song "Give it All Away" on guitar. Still a solid album regardless of how much they had to comeback with after the beautifully will done Wrecking Ball. Before they were Dead Confederate they were The Redbelly Band (may up in the future).

Last.fm
Official Page

Similar acts/sounds: Darker My Love, The Redbelly Band, Alberta Cross, The Whigs

No comments:

Post a Comment