Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Duck, Little Brother, Duck!

Duck, Little Bother, Duck! aren't fucking around. Or are they? 

These guys play a mix of aggressive math rock with a dash of emo and sprinkle of screamo. Throw in an arsenal of dual vocal attacks and almost uncontrolled chaos and you got yourself a party. 

When I saw these rad bros this summer, I didn't really know what to expect and I still don't. They killed their set and grooved on its ashes.  There was a moment where they laid out a huge unexpected break down that sent everyone off the walls. I unfortunately didn't make it all the way to the wall for a small lady was in the way and I may have spilt some of her PBR. I apologized, don't worry. The most interesting feature the band brought to the trick table, was the bass guitar. Now, I don't know if the bass is usually as prominent as it was that night (it doesn't sound like it on the recordings) or if it was just a uneven sound issue but my god was it bassy as all hell. This band is definitely a live act kind of band. There was grooving, there was shredding, there was screaming, there was even an inaudible Jimmy Eat World cover that sounded more like dropping your Jimmy Eat World CD while driving on the highway and getting hit by a mac truck. 

The only thing that bummed me that night wasn't the show but the fact that it was really dark at the tiny merch table and I couldn't tell which CD was the tour demo (which features the Jimmy Eat World cover). Oh well, I still have a physical copy of Survival Is Not A Workout and that's good enough for me. 

Duck, Little Brother, Duck! - Survival Is Not A Workout (2010)
Fun fact: the track Tony West! is in homage of their friend and photographer, Tony West who is also friends with mat from The Sarcastic Dharma Society. He made the album artwork for Other People's Songs (Volume One).

No comments:

Post a Comment