Thursday, September 1, 2011

WHY?

Why? - Alopecia (2008)




Why? Why not. Goooood stuff. You do not have to be a hip hop/rap fan to enjoy this Anticon band. (Though, I think that even if you are not a huge fan of hip hop/rap but partly due to the rap that is spilling out of MTV and that ghetto friend of your's radio, I suggest you give Anticon records bands a chance. They get a bit obscure at times but are totally fun to listen to and really bring a little spunk and texture to their beats as well as their vocals.) Why? is something else to me. It's not really rap but more like a poet approaching a piece of work in a boxing match and that piece of work is also a big bear and it's a cage match. That poet is lead singer Yoni Wolf. Yoni is kind of like a rapper too but a rapper who didn't want a rap star sound. Instead, he uses mallet percussion (which is sick and played my his bro, Josiah Wolf) to bring a more indie feel that swiftly moves along with his poetry. And boy does that nasally talk like indie singing over bells and bass make for a beautiful thing. The sound of Why? is super original and refreshing every time I listen to them. Fun fact: Alopecia is the loss of hair. Oh yeah and Pitchfork can suck a bag of dicks.

Last.fm
Anticon Records
Billy the Kid did what he did and he died

Bon(er)us:

Why? - Almost Live From Eli's Live Room (2008)



I'm always a big believer in hearing bands perform live. I'm also a big believer in hearing the way a song sounds in a different way, whether it's a demo, live, from a session, remixed, mashed up, acoustic, electric, etc. Almost live was the first thing I bought from Why? and it was purely because I couldn't decide which album to start with and this featured 23 songs from either Alopecia, Elephant Eyelash, or the EP, Sanddollars! I quickly learned that these weren't the polished sounds I had previously heard, they were much more. Much rawer. And even though it's not really live because they practiced before hand and recorded it like a session, hanse the "Almost Live" part, it's still a totally solid look at their songs. Twenty three of them, all in a different environment. I sometimes run into this album online with a comment that says it's great for longtime fans but I always recommend it too any fan. Past, present or future.  Oh yeah and I almost forgot! I bought this album at Walt Disney World in the Virgin Records store at Downtown Disney which is super silly but I don't care because it's a limited edition tour live album.  There's also another "Almost Live" album out there that features earlier works my Why? called Almost Live From Anna's Cabin.

even though I haven't seen you in years
yours is a funeral I'd fly to from anywhere

No comments:

Post a Comment