Monday, April 23, 2012

Monday XXXII


That's life. 



Pneu are a french math rock two-piecer from Framce. Along with the math rock business, these guys also have got some gnarly  hardcore, or post hardcore I guess it would be, tendencies going on. The energy and heavy/fast-passed intensity is certainly a treat for me. Recently, I've felt like all the math rock acts that I've been finding have just been going through the motions so to speak; they really haven't struck me with any significance interest or emotional trigger to a point were I'm not just like, 'eh screw this, I'll go listen to some Don Cab instead'. Pneu on the other hand have not only woken me up from a run-of-the-mill math rock coma but opened my eyes (and ears) to something new and refreshing. It also helps that they add that little kick to their music whether it be a hardcore influence of just a bit more of noise than those other bands I've ran into lately, but either way, it definitely keeps me interested and coming back for more listens. 

Highway to Health is Pneu's latest effort. It's really pretty neat. Pneu also has an album called Pince Monseigneur which is also really really pretty neat but I haven't gotten a hold of it yet. They also have a split with Nervous Kids which was released in 2010. It all sounds great!




Lo-fi indie rock. Guess you could also call it "garage punk" or something hip like that, I don't know. Just something I've been listening to on again/off again since last year or so. My favorite track has to be "Youth Cult". It's definitely the anchor track of No Art // No Trade but that doesn't stop me from telling you to listen to it all. 

I also just noticed that this album was recorded by Cameron Wisch and Weird Korea. Cameron Wisch is a one man math rock project as well as the drummer for Zona Mexicana and before that was in Ra Ra Riot, The Medics, and Le Rug. His stuff is really good as well and can be checked out on the internet somewhere

Last.fm (that mediafire link doesn't work anymore... trust me.)



Dikembe are an "indiemo" band as it's called these days. I don't know if I like that term very much but it is emo and it is 'indie' and those two words do make a cute little word together, so why not, it's better than emocore. Anyways, Dikembe are the decedents of another indie emo band, Wavelets and consist of a drummer, a singer/guitarer, a basser, and a pianoer. They're from Florida.

To be honest, I liked this album even before I heard the full band kick in after the intro. See, this band hit a soft spot with me by not only using sampled dialogue from Freaks and Geeks but also ones by Nick (Jason Segal's character) and about his drumset. Not only do I have a boyish crush on/for Freaks and Geeks, I've been known to resemble the young man Segal character by quite a few who have also witnessed this superb pre-Superbad Judd Apatow production. Ladies ;) . Samples of Nick can be heard in the very beginning on the first track, "Scottie Spliffen" and at the very end on the last track, "Tony Kukush". So, even if I ended up hating this album, I would still have to listen to it from beginning to end just to hear the samples. Smart thinking, Dikembe. Smart thinking. 

Despite finding this on 4/20, I didn't catch the drug puns in the track names until the day after. I did feel like the most clever hip cat on the internet when I remembered I posted "Scottie Spliffen" on my Facebook that day, though. 


Dikembe's full-length album 'Broad Shoulders' is due out for release sometime this year. 




Vestiges are a bag of heavy and dark goodies. Like the left-over Easter candy you just found behind your night stand or the Scottie Spliffen you forgot about from last friday night. What I'm trying to say, is that Vestiges and their album 'The Descent Of Man' is full of awesome things all jam-packed in to one album and, well, I guess forgotten about until now. The awesome things? Oh you know, just a dash of descending post-rock/screamo guitars made of steam and grit here, a dash of black metal vocals and hardcore approaches there, and a kicking and stomping crusty d-beat after-taste everywhere. Still don't understand? Guess you'll just have to take a listen for yourself. 

The Descent Of Man itself is an album that deals with the complicated relationship between man and nature. It's pretty epic and should fill everyone's needs whether they are a metal fan or a hardcore fan. 

"There will be horrifying consequences for what we have done."

Stay tuned for more Vestiges posts in the future. *Hint* Because of The Cranberries cover they have *Hint*


**Mediafire link starts DLing immediately. Watch out!

No comments:

Post a Comment